> Defining E&C for BetterGEDCOM
<< Under Construction (Brett & GJ 2012-03-05) >>
As agreed in the November 7 2011 Developer meeting I am posting a link to the introductory discussion topic on a document I wrote May 20 2011 about Evidence and Conclusion. Geir's Working document
The document describes a way to merge a model for Multilevel Evidence&Conclusion persons with a model that keeps Evidence and Conclusions separate, but linked via Citations. The document also considders backwards compatabiity with Gedcom, with Personas in the Gentech model, and interworking between programs that have implemented different parts of the model. There have been extensive discussion of the document (see the discussion tab of this page), but the document has not been updated to reflect those discussions (I have an updated version refelcting some of the discussions.)
The original content of this page follows.
The 11 April 2011 Developers Meeting
was spent discussing Tom Wetmore's concern that BetterGEDCOM was progressing on various fronts but hadn't made a commitment to E&C. Some of Tom's views were earlier expressed in his posting "The Chasm"; see specifically his posting here
At the time Tom's concern was expressed, BetterGEDCOM had been working to develop requirement related to EE & GPS Support
part of the wiki, somewhat on the heels of the requirements that had been developed for Administrative Research
By the conclusion of the 11 April 2011 meeting, it was thought progress toward other requirements should be suspended temporarily while the team focused on E&C with an open mind.
"Defining E&C for BetterGEDCOM" is a page to further the discussions that were held during the meeting, to determine how this effort should be organized and conducted in order that a definition can be made and a decision reached, to catalog links to some discussions about E&C on the Wiki and to record progress we make toward that the definition and decision.
Brief working description of E&C Model (concept)
Week 1 - Progress
Discussion: What will it take to get BetterGEDCOM E&C defined?
There is a need to summarize the topic discussed for each link.
A developing resource. (Awaiting Tom's additions)
- DeadEnds XML Model Tom's initial document on E&C. The model contains the data structures (not only for E&C), but almost nothing about rules for how these records shall be used.
- Discussion of the DeadEnds model (Some of these should be carried forward as separate links, and the topic summarized.)
- BetterGEDCOM Requirements Catalog, "Evidence 01 Evidence & Conclusion Model" and related discussion
- Adrian's "Research Process, Evidence & GPS" (and related discussions)
- BetterGEDCOM Comparisons discussion "Question re..." [ignore the title and read pages ?3 & 4]
- BetterGEDCOM's, "Evidence and Conclusion Process and why it is important to BetterGEDCOM."
- Mike's "BetterGEDCOM Attempt" (and related discussions)
- Build a BetterGEDCOM Blog, "GenTech"
- Build a BetterGEDCOM Blog, "How do scholarly genealogists approach the evidence process?'
- Possibly the original discussion about E&C. "Automatic Combination of Genealogical Records" (10 Nov 2010; BetterGEDCOM Home discussion).
- The Chasm Based on certain of Tom's assumptions, posting suggests E&C modeled practices are superior to other practices and even other best practices, based on an article in the Ancestry Insider blog, touches Gentec/NFS, the research process and where to store evidence.
- Brianjd (BetterGEDCOM) Evidence and Confidence (3 Dec 2010)
- BetterGEDCOM's Direct Model Support for the Evidence and Conclusion Process (11 Mar 2011)
- Testuser42's graphic comparing a Multi-Level- with a 2-Level- with a Single-Level Model: multilevel2.pdf
and the older comparison of Multi- to Single-Level Models: multilevel.pdf
The new graphic as image (remove if it's in the way):
- Another graphic by testuser42, displaying a Multi-Level-Model example with Events: multi-events.pdf
and again as PNG:
- Thoughts about undoing a conclusion: remove-undo-permutations.pdf and remove-undo-steps.pdf