BetterGEDCOM Developers Meeting
6 June 2011
ITEM: Backup (Geir) - What is happening, we need a solution - are we wasting our time on a wiki that will not be available in a year or two?
ITEM: Impact of AncestorSync on the industry.
About $20 annually.
Handles GEDCOM, PAF, Ancestral Quest, Legacy Family Tree, TMG, RootsMagic
Translate is a misnomer… it is copy of data.
- Sync from Geni and Familogy to desktop genealogy software.
- Sync from desktop to Geni familogy.
- Autosync – Legacy will auto update RootsMagic Geni or Familogy
- End user to end user.
- Needing to sync is important.
- Issues with wiki-pedia type genealogy concept.
- Not trying to replace GEDCOM.
- Need standards for methodology and it is unclear that AncestorSync can play that role.
ITEM: Rules and Guidelines Page – no update.
ITEM: Reports from moderators
- Storage of genealogy data requires readability and availability over time
- Where is the file format that can be read 20 years later?
- 3 weeks ago fairly close to defining E & C in a BetterGEDCOM world.
- Current thread Tom challenges current practices about source citations as reference notes.
- Louis and Adrian wrote about connecting to evidence “conclusion persons” where you have codify information from a document and then put a link between those two datasets.
- Data set 1 – church records or census records transcribed but not linked to the persons
- What we wanted to say is that if there is a person into a data set, you need a pointer to the data that originally created the conclusion about a person.
- Use the citation as the link between the person and the data.
ITEM: Footnotes are not citations
FUTURE: Change chat status, as logs aren’t necessary.
- Every scholarly endeavor follows the “scientific method”.