> EE & GPS Support
> Fix the Transfer Problem
High level considerations about how to create a solution for citations in BG
Geir's high level considerations on citations in BetterGEDCOM.pdf
No more scrambled citations!
Citations represent the record of Evidence for our conclusions; the Genealogical Proof Standard deals with evidence and conclusions and has an element, "Complete and accurate citation of sources."
BetterGEDCOM will provide for the "complete" and "faithful" transfer of citations.
When fully implemented, BetterGEDCOM Applications will export all the data necessary for another BetterGEDCOM Application to reconstruct citations from both standard and non-standard Citation Elements and default, standard and non-standard Citation Templates. We have preliminarily identified six (6) requirements for this purpose.
1. Establish an extended group of standard BetterGEDCOM Citation Elements
2. Determine the method by which an Application will define and export non-standard Citation Elements, and
3. Discover one or more standardized BetterGEDCOM Citation Templates, where at least one "default" template is based on GEDCOM's Data Fields, and
4. Determine the method by which Applications will export references to that/those standardized BetterGEDCOM Citation Templates, and
5. Discover ways by which Applications will define and export (or export references to) non-standard Citation Templates, and
6. Determine methods by which this comparatively larger export will be consistently interpreted by those Applications that are GEDCOM compatible but have not yet adopted BetterGEDCOM's model. [Link to discussion
Somewhat in the way GENTECH envisioned active management of it's data model, [*] BetterGEDCOM envisions active management of standard Citation Elements and Citation Templates. We have preliminarily identified one (1) requirement for this purpose:
7. Provide means for active management of BetterGEDCOM standard Citation Elements, Citation Templates and the mechanisms by which references are transmitted.
*GENTECH Genealogical Data Model (2000), p. 3, "the model will be extended."