> Personal Names
GEDCOM 5.5 provides two alternative ways to represent a personal name, one that uses slashes to separate the surname from the other parts of the name, and one that uses a structure with Name prefix, Given name, Nickname, Surname prefix, Surname and Suffix. This page lists discussions and pages on the wiki that discuss requirements and solutions not handled by GEDCOM 5.5.
1. Most recent work
Personal Name Data Standard
Currently there are no comprehensive data standards on PersonalNames that take into consideration Internationalization and the different naming customs of different cultures and languages. This draft proposed Personal Names Data Standard attempts to meet that goal. In addition, this hyperlink will contain separate draft documents on Background, Problems, User Requirements, Rationale, Implementaion Guide and Outstanding Issues. These documents attempt to aggregate and summarize the other papers and links below.
2. Previous discussions, pages and documents
3. Personal names in current genealogy programs and services
4. User Requirements
5. Discussion of the level of Rigour in handling Personal Names
6. External genealogy related resources
- Additional Name Fields A GRAMPS page discussing extention to the personal name features in the program.
- GenXML proposes a Personal Names solution (the specification is here)
7. External resources about names in general